When creating lists and libraries in SharePoint, sometimes it necessary to hide certain information from users. You can easily create custom views and uncheck columns which you don’t want users to see, however, users will also be able to see/edit the unchecked items in the newform.aspx page (when you click new). So, here’s an additional step to make sure that you hide columns not only from views, but from the form:
1. Navigate to the list or library which you need to hide the columns
2. Under General Settings, select Advanced Settings
3. Next to Content Types, select Yes to Allow management of content types
4. Click OK
5. Back in the Settings page, you will now notice a heading for Content Types
6. Select the existing Content Type to edit it
7. In the Content Type settings page, select the columns which you wish to hide.
8. There are three options to choose from:
· Required (Must contain information)
· Optional (May contain information)
· Hidden (Will not appear in forms)
9. Select Hidden to hide the column from the form
10. Click OK when you are complete.
Don’t forget to uncheck the hidden column from your Views as well on the List/Library Settings page